Area Activation Manager
Area Activation Manager
Legacy Marketing is a Chicago-based, independent experiential and digital marketing agency that inspires passion for brands by engaging people through integrated live + digital campaigns. Perennially listed on both Event Marketer’s IT List, the CM200 (formerly PROMO Top Shops) and Chicago Tribune’s Top Workplaces, our programs have won multiple Ex Awards, PRO Awards and Webbys.
The Area Activation Manager (AAM) is charged with development and leadership of a high-performance team of on-premise Activation Specialists. Each full-time specialist is dedicated to a specific segment of on-premise accounts. The AAM will oversee a broad on-premise domain. Beverage sales experience and knowledge of the three-tier system is critical.
The AAM will serve as the senior primary point of contact for clients in the field and should have a strong background in client services. The AAM will also be accountable for building and maintaining a strong working relationship with the key on-premise representatives at the wholesaler.
The AAM will work closely with our client to actively assess, strategize and manage his/her team. He or she will report into Legacy HQ and be accountable to the market activation unit of our client. He/she must have a strong understanding of and ability to drive local business imperatives.
He/she must also be capable of carrying out traditional management responsibilities including: recruitment, on-boarding, mentoring, retention and development relative to the specialists in their state. He/she will ensure integrity of programming in their state overseeing task management, client requests and championing wins.
AAMs will travel for quarterly business reviews and frequent market visits. Additional key AAM responsibilities include but are not limited to: KPI management, depletions tracking, point of sale development, trade hospitality, educational programming and culture building.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
• Mentor and guide remote team, teach them how to manage their business, sales trackers and markets.
• Manage an effective relationship with the local client team and wholesaler. Specifically ensure that there is open, two way dialogue between the specialist and these individuals.
• Regularly communicate issues, opportunities and progress to the client and local wholesaler team.
• Track and analyze performance in all accounts. Identify distribution, feature, menu and overall volume opportunities. Work with specialists on taking corrective action within account base.
• Conduct regular account visits with specialists to facilitate in field coaching and development and to help secure additional business (distribution, menus, and features).
• Serve as the main point of contact for Brand Ambassadors. Collaborate with the Brand Ambassadors to build out activations within the account universe which support growing the business and building trade advocacy.
• Recognize, reward and empower top performers, diffuse best practices.
• Deliver ongoing performance feedback to their team including annual reviews.
• Assists management with new hire process, on-boarding and field orientation; it is imperative to have an established field/sales network and the ability to help find recruit and develop talent.
Experience, Qualifications, and Skills Required:
• Must not be involved with, working for, or representing any other beer, wine or spirit brand.
• Must be familiar with agency ways of working and have a strong client service pedigree.
• Must be able to travel regionally a minimum of 2-3x per week and nationally 4-6x a year.
• Must have a proven track record as people manager (recruitment, development, retention).
• Must have experience interpreting sales depletions reports to identify trends, gaps and opportunities.
• Must have exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Must have experience working with analytics to draw conclusive insights and spot trends.
• Must have a full understanding of state laws, engaging legal counsel where appropriate to ensure compliance.
• Frequent travel including quarterly business reviews with client and ad hoc satellite market work.
• Candidate should be locally based and be able to work out of client office as needed/requested.
• Ability to work non-traditional hours (nights and weekends) required.
• Candidate should be locally based and be able to work out of the client office as needed/requested, however, home market is flexible based on the locality of the right candidate.