Tender Belly is rapidly growing branded meat company (the “Company”), based in the Denver, CO area with over $10 million in sales, sells products to customers in the foodservice and grocery channels, as well as online. The Company’s Founder/CEO and private equity sponsor have decided to hire a Controller to immediately assume responsibility for the finance function (as detailed below). This is an exciting opportunity to join an emerging brand in an entrepreneurial environment as the Company is augmenting its team in several key functions to support its rapid growth objectives.
POSITION AND OPPORTUNITY SUMMARY
Reporting to the CEO, the Controller will play a major role as part of the management team with responsibility for all aspects of day-to-day accounting, near term financial planning (monthly reporting and forecasting, cash management, etc.) and financial stewardship (annual budgeting process, capital requirements, etc.). In addition, as the liaison for all financial matters to the private equity firm and local bank, the Controller will participate in strategic “board-level” discussions and decisions. Specific functions include:
- Timely and accurate preparation of all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements, reports to shareholders/investors (including rolling cash flow forecasts), reports to bank (including borrowing base and other matters related to the company’s line of credit), tax returns, and reports for government regulatory agencies.
- Oversees finance department (currently an outsourced function with an internal AR manager), budget preparation, business analytics, external audit functions, and select HR responsibilities.
- Recommends and executes the implementation of changes and improvements in financial and management information systems for the company, likely including a new accounting system (company currently runs on QuickBooks and Food Connex for inventory management).
- Monitors cash position and maximizes cash flow by effectively managing working capital.
- Analyzes company operations to pinpoint opportunities for improvement and areas for cost savings and efficiency.
- Supports senior management team with business analytics and insights. Provides consultative support for planning initiatives through financial and management information analyses, reports, and recommendations.
- Works with the company’s management and private equity investors to plan for capital needs and long-term strategic growth.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates finance department staff.
- Establish and maintain internal control procedures relative to the safeguarding of assets.
Experience, Capabilities and Skills
- Experience in directing the overall financial function with responsibility for treasury, accounting, budget, tax and audit activities of the organization.
- 8+ years of finance function and management experience, most recently as a Controller of a small to mid-size company.
- Ideally, the candidate would have experience at a consumer packaged goods business with a strong sales and marketing culture and explosive growth.
- Extensive GAAP knowledge.
- Extensive budget preparation, management and review experience.
- Experience preparing monthly financials for management team and investors.
- Excellent forecasting, modeling, KPI development and monitoring experience; strong focus on analytics.
- Experience preparing Board Meeting materials and a desire to interact with outside investors and board members.
- Payroll and human resources compliance oversight.
- Experience managing and tracking inventory and freight costs across multiple co-packers, distributors, and logistics providers.
- Strength in upgrading, developing and implementing policies and procedures.
- Advanced or expert level Excel skills.
- Past experience leading year end audits with external auditors.
- Prior pricing experience built upon clear customer and product profitability analysis.
- An exceptional level of accuracy in all work.
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Ideally, the candidate will be a CPA.
- Strong ERP experience. ERP implementation is a plus.
- Willingness to work in the Denver, CO area; local candidates only.
Leadership Skills and Attributes
- A quick learner who can rapidly embrace a new organization, culture, and responsibilities.
- A “scrappy” mentality with a high level of endurance and tenacity.
- A leader who is hands-on by nature.
- A strong record of problem solving and priority setting, with strong strategic and tactical skills in evidence. The ability to see and anticipate real problems/solutions through a complex and cluttered landscape is critical for success.
- Self-assured, decisive, accomplished team player.
- Positive, consultative, and energetic, with the sense of urgency necessary to create dramatic growth in equity value.
- An ability to establish strong relationships and maintain alignment with operating executives, investors, and employees.
- Experience with continual improvement of a finance organization.
- Ability to build strong, repeatable processes.
- Open, direct and crisp in personal style.
- Unquestionable ethics that drive leadership and behavior.
The Controller will receive a market compensation package. The role would include a market base salary, an annual bonus opportunity and potential for participation in an equity incentive based on performance.