Black Heron Brewer
Fremont BrewingApply for Job
Fremont Brewing is currently hiring a full-time Brewer for our Black Heron Brewing project. The role of the Black Heron Brewer is responsible for collaboratively maintaining the mixed-culture fermentation program at Fremont Brewing. Additionally, this role will maintain our original 30-barrel brewing facility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works with CEO and Director of Brewing Operations to build recipes and contribute to the direction of the Black Heron project.
- Coordinate with Fremont QA/QC Manager to maintain and grow culture library necessary for creation of mixed-fermentation beers, incorporating the expertise and resources of our in-house laboratory team.
- Coordinate with Director of Brewing Operations and CEO to make initial purchasing recommendations for raw ingredients, equipment, barrels, etc. Coordinate with Beer Manager and Director of Brewing Operations for continued purchasing.
- Review and contribute to SOP creation pertinent to mixed fermentation program. Maintain SOPs after program creation.
- Maintain existing, and develop new, relationships between Fremont Brewing and barrel/wood vessel companies for use within the Black Heron project.
- The Black Heron Brewer is responsible for coordinating, brewing, cellaring, racking, blending, and packaging of Black Heron beers to match scheduled release dates.
- Work with brewery staff to build company-wide knowledge and skills required to maintain the program.
- Provides training opportunities for all tasks associated with program, including but not limited to: culture propagation, pitching, wort creation, fermentation, cellaring, barreling, blending, bottling, etc.
- Collects pertinent data and records appropriate notes regarding the key program parameters for use in program continuation.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- 2+ years of related experience in mixed fermentation.
- Organized, like not a slob, messy or a “I’ll do it later” kind of person
- An obsessive dedication to organization, quality and detail
- A true passion for learning new skills and a desire to take on new responsibilities
- A detailed understanding of the brewing and packaging process
- An unbridled, unrepentant passion for all things fermented
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong computer skills (web-based email, Microsoft Office Suite, Orchestrated Beer)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Highly motivated
- General awesomeness
- Ability to work independently and in a group
- Ability to manage a flexible work schedule
- A robust sense of humor and a healthy ability to laugh at oneself (and others)
- Standing for long periods of time (up to 10 hours per day).
- Ability to move heavy materials (lifting up to 50 lbs, moving up to 160 lbs)
- Climbing ladders
- Training Dragons
- Routine pushing, pulling, reaching, stooping, climbing, bending
- Ability to work in hot and cold environments
- Ability to withstand the rain during winter months in Seattle
Fremont Brewing offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, a dynamic and rewarding work environment and growth for dedicated and committed employees.
Fremont Brewing is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should submit application online at: Fremont Brewing Jobs