Head of Operations
Blue Moose of BoulderApply for this Job
ABOUT BLUE MOOSE OF BOULDER: We hand-craft dips and spreads in small batches, with tasty all natural ingredients, and not a single preservative or cut corner whatsoever. We’re proudly born in Boulder, CO and on a mission to make snacking better! Blue Moose of Boulder products are available across Natural, Conventional, Club and Online Channels, and sold in key retailers such as: Whole Foods Market, Kroger, Safeway, Costco, Sam’s Club, AmazonFresh and more.
POSITION SUMMARY: Blue Moose is searching for a dynamic Head of Operations who is responsible for overseeing plant activities in order to meet business objectives. The successful candidate will be accountable for all aspects of plant performance, and will ensure that objectives are attained in a cost-effective manner that’s consistent with quality requirements. He or she will also delegate authority to key supervisors in production, manage all functions involved, as well as direct and coordinate operations for the processing plant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the overall management of daily operations at our SQF Level 3 plant
- Maintain compliance with all governmental and Company safety and quality regulations and procedures
- Oversee the efficient use of materials, labor and equipment; assist with improvement initiatives as necessary
- Lead all certification processes and maintain requirements for our various facility and product certifications (including: SQF Level 3, USDA Organic, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO Project, etc.)
- Plan, organize and manage all business processes to ensure customer and financial expectations are met; achieve facility goals to support fast growth plans
- Analyze manufacturing processes and operational costs to optimize the production and financial performance of the Blue Moose of Boulder facility
- Manage and coordinate the activities of the production team, including: hiring, training and providing leadership
- Mentor and develop team members to support current and future staffing needs
- Oversee sourcing and vendor management in conjunction with Supply Chain Manager and Plant Manager
- Conduct physical inventories, monitor cycle counts and assists in relevant end of month account closing activities
- Prepare, analyze and issue production and performance reports.
- Manage multiple shifts and approve day-to-day scheduling of the plant to ensure capacity and practices exceed any new forecasted growth
- Immediately report any food safety or quality issues to the Quality Assurance Manager or other appropriate individual authorized to initiate action
- Develop and implement comprehensive and preventative maintenance programs.
- Exhibit working knowledge of High Pressure Processing (HPP) and its impact on different products
DIRECT REPORTS: Plant Manager, Production Manager
QUALIFICATIONS: The Head of Operations candidate should be passionate about natural foods. He or she considers him/herself as an independent thinker and doer, and loves to introduce friends to new things they’ve discovered, especially when it is a new food product!
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A or B.S) in Business Administration, Business Management, Accounting, Engineering or Manufacturing Systems, Supply Chain Management
- 15-25 years of successful leadership and experience in a manufacturing management role with a strong financial acumen. Experience with Consumer Packaged Products, Natural Foods, Cheese or Dairy industries strongly preferred
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices and Standard Operations Procedures within the food industry, preferably in dairy and cheese
- Excellent teambuilding, interpersonal, listening, and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Good analytical and conceptual problem solving skills to identify problems, develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and ERP software
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial and manufacturing data
- Ability to work one-on-one as well as in a team environment
- Good understanding of business and management practices
- Start-up company mentality “No job too small”
- Demonstrated project management, organizational and customer service skills
- Results oriented individual who demonstrates persistence in the face of obstacles
- Persuasive leader with ability to organize and delegate effectively
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The Team Member is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The Team Member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.