Public Relations Manager
Kodiak CakesApply for this Job
Kodiak Cakes Job Opening
PR Manager (or Coordinator)
Park City, Utah
Who are we?
Kodiak Cakes is a small, fast-growing natural foods company located in the scenic Rocky Mountains of Park City, Utah. Our journey with food began by restoring the whole grain tradition of flapjacks from the American frontier. In the process, we discovered that high quality foods closer to nature are not only more wholesome, but far more delicious and packed with clean energy. We rely on that clean energy from nature to fuel our active, outdoor lifestyle in the mountains.
We make the best-selling (and best-tasting!) whole grain flapjack mix in the nation, and also sell baking mixes, gourmet syrup, oatmeal, and granola at a large variety of retailers (http://www.kodiakcakes.com/store-locator-map/). Our brand is growing immensely with fast-turning items, growing distribution, and a robust innovation pipeline across multiple categories. We need to build our team with more people that share our passion for the outdoors, bring valuable industry experience, thrive in an entrepreneurial culture, and want to make an impact on the front lines of the food revolution. We believe that eating real food closer to nature, getting active outdoors, and preserving local nature will bring back that old, balanced partnership with the wild that our forebears forged out on the frontier. We embrace the spirit of the Kodiak – a pristine wilderness with a rich ecosystem – and we rely on that spirit of the Kodiak to inspire the work we do, the food we eat, and the way we play.
What will this position do?
This new position on our marketing team will lead PR marketing strategy and execution. The role will look for increasingly creative ways to accelerate awareness for the Kodiak Cakes brand across a variety of touchpoints and with a growing set of influential outlets and individuals. It will also develop content for the brand to leverage in a variety of media and organize and lead our cause platform efforts.
- Increase brand awareness, trial, and loyalty through PR
- Craft the PR, influencer, and cause platform strategies for the brand
- Create and manage a steady stream of PR content to amplify our brand awareness
- Create and launch aggressive media and influencer outreach efforts
- Pitch stories to media
- Secure industry and media exposure for the brand and company
- Lead employer PR branding efforts
- Coordinate PR events, awareness accelerators, and activities
- Harness influential brand loyalists to promote the brand
- Experiment and lead innovation in PR methods
- Build partnerships with influencers and brands to create compelling PR content and initiatives
- Manage the relationship with PR or other marketing agencies
- Provide and analyze performance reporting to assess PR activity
- Lead the development of the brand’s cause platform
What are we looking for?
We need someone with expertise in PR and marketing communications that can easily navigate the world of media outlets and influencers. Both strategic and tactical expertise will be crucial to thrive in this role.
It is important that this candidate thrive in our small, entrepreneurial company culture where change is constant, growth is immense, and opportunities abound. We need someone who can work independently with ease and manage a complex workload with limited supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Public Relations
- 4-8+ years of experience (2-4+ years for Coordinator-level) in marketing, preferably in PR and marketing communications
- Experience working with and managing agency relationships
- Superior writing and communications skills
- Experience managing creative partners to create content
- Strategic mindset for crafting the right plans to win
- Passion for executing remarkable work
- Comfort with using data to communicate results and refine strategies
- Strong ability to manage multiple long-term and short-term projects
- Intense hunger to learn and develop
- Urgent bias for action to get things done when opportunities arise
- Strong people skills and able to effectively manage conflict in a conciliatory way
- Ability to be flexible and work with ambiguity in a self-directed way
- Strong fit for the Kodiak Cakes brand culture of active, outdoor lifestyle
- Natural foods industry experience
- Relationships with key media outlets
- Committed advocate of natural and organic foods
- Strong familiarity with food, ingredients, cooking, and baking
- Experience with issue and crisis management
How can I apply?
Please apply for this position by sending your resume and a brief note introducing yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What else do I need to know?
This role is based in our headquarters near the ski slopes and mountain trails of Park City, Utah. It reports to the Brand Marketing Director and will also work very closely with the VP of Marketing. It offers competitive compensation and benefits that include health/vision/dental plans, 401k match, relocation assistance (if applicable), active lifestyle benefits, all-you-can-eat flapjacks, flexible vacation, maternity/paternity leave, and a variety of other Kodiak-unique perks.
The future of food is whatever our generation decides it will be. We are committed to creating wholesome, natural, authentic food with superior taste to fuel a healthy, active lifestyle. We feel encouraged by some of the wholesome trends in food today and believe that with a concerted effort we can make an enormous impact in building momentum for natural, better-for-you foods. If you feel inspired in this same journey, we invite you to apply to join our team and leave your legacy on the future of food.