Brand Marketing Director
Kodiak CakesApply for this Job
Kodiak Cakes Job Opening
Brand Marketing Director
Park City, Utah
Who are we?
Kodiak Cakes is a small, fast-growing natural foods company located in the scenic Rocky Mountains of Park City, Utah. Our journey with food began by restoring the whole grain tradition of flapjacks from the American frontier. In the process, we discovered that high quality foods closer to nature are not only more wholesome, but far more delicious and packed with clean energy. We rely on that clean energy from nature to fuel our active, outdoor lifestyle in the mountains.
We make the best-selling (and best-tasting!) whole grain flapjack mix in the nation, and also sell baking mixes, gourmet syrup, oatmeal, and granola at a large variety of retailers (http://www.kodiakcakes.com/store-locator-map/). Our brand is growing immensely with fast-turning items, growing distribution, and a robust innovation pipeline across multiple categories. We need to build our team with more people that share our passion for the outdoors, bring valuable industry experience, thrive in an entrepreneurial culture, and want to make an impact on the front lines of the food revolution. We believe that eating real food closer to nature, getting active outdoors, and preserving local nature will bring back that old, balanced partnership with the wild that our forebears forged out on the frontier. We embrace the spirit of the Kodiak – a pristine wilderness with a rich ecosystem – and we rely on that spirit of the Kodiak to inspire the work we do, the food we eat, and the way we play.
What will this position do?
This key leadership role on our marketing team will help shape the direction of the brand and the future of the marketing organization. It is a senior leadership role that will have direct responsibility for consumer communication and brand campaign development, coordinating efforts across our growing team of marketing specialists in PR, digital, shopper marketing, and more. It will ensure that we continue to act as an authentic, small company with a passionate connection to our consumers. This role will also play a key part in managing our product portfolio, both current items and future innovation. The role will begin by focusing primarily on consumer communication and brand campaign development, and then expand and grow in responsibility and scope over time as our team and brand continue their exponential growth.
- Maintain, update, and preserve brand architecture guiding principles to preserve brand purpose and authenticity
- Build strategic frameworks for both marketing communications and product portfolio
- Lead planning process for marketing initiatives
- Coordinate and oversee tactical execution of the marketing communications plans across the team, as well as the development of our product portfolio
- Create unique marketing programs and assets for the brand across a variety of content media
- Create framework for capturing regular consumer insights to build empathy and intuition across the team
- Champion shopper marketing efforts with the sales team to create customized marketing plans by account
- Manage a large and growing brand marketing team tackling projects across product portfolio, PR, shopper marketing, digital, etc.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for someone in need of an adventure. Someone who wants to take what they’ve learned working for a large, established CPG giant and make waves in the world of food by building and growing an emerging brand with immense potential to make a difference. We need someone highly skilled and proficient in food marketing, brand management, product portfolio development, consumer communication, and team leadership. This individual needs to be deeply committed to the natural products Food Revolution of which we are a part, and to the active, outdoor lifestyle that is core to our brand.
- MBA with a focus on marketing and brand management
- 5-10+ years post-MBA in food CPG brand marketing
- Superior team leadership skills and experience managing direct reports
- Experience managing and executing marketing communications and promotion marketing touchpoints
- Extensive experience building and executing an innovation strategy and pipeline
- Deep personal commitment to natural foods
- Close fit for the Kodiak Cakes brand culture of active, outdoor lifestyle
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Intense curiosity to personally learn and grow
- Superb influence skills, across written, verbal, and presentation forms of communication
- Collaborative, team-building intuition
- Strong familiarity with syndicated data (Nielsen, IRI, SPINS) and MS Office
- Experience leading shopper marketing initiatives at major accounts
- Experience working on a natural food brand
- Experience working across multiple retail channels, including the natural channel, e-commerce, and club
How can I apply?
Please apply for this position by sending your resume and a brief note introducing yourself to email@example.com.
What else do I need to know?
This role is based in our headquarters near the ski slopes and mountain trails of Park City, Utah. It reports to the VP of Marketing and will manage a growing number of direct reports. It offers competitive compensation and benefits that include health/vision/dental plans, 401k match, relocation assistance, active lifestyle benefits, all-you-can-eat flapjacks, flexible vacation, maternity/paternity leave, and a variety of other Kodiak-unique perks.
The future of food is whatever our generation decides it will be. We are committed to creating wholesome, natural, authentic food with superior taste to fuel a healthy, active lifestyle. We feel encouraged by some of the wholesome trends in food today and believe that with a concerted effort we can make an enormous impact in building momentum for natural, better-for-you foods. If you feel inspired in this same journey, we invite you to apply to join our team and leave your legacy on the future of food.