Kodiak CakesApply for this Job
Kodiak Cakes Job Opening
Park City, Utah
Who are we?
Kodiak Cakes is a small, fast-growing natural foods company located in the scenic Rocky Mountains of Park City, Utah. Our journey with food began by restoring the whole grain tradition of flapjacks from the American frontier. In the process, we discovered that high quality foods closer to nature are not only more wholesome, but far more delicious and packed with clean energy. We rely on that clean energy from nature to fuel our active, outdoor lifestyle in the mountains.
We make the best-selling whole grain flapjack mix in the nation and also sell baking mixes, oatmeal, granola, and syrup at a number of retailers. We’re expanding rapidly as the fastest-growing pancake brand in America and need to build our team with more people that share our passion for the outdoors, bring industry experience, thrive in an entrepreneurial culture, and want to make an impact on the front lines of the food revolution. We believe that eating real food closer to nature, getting active outdoors, and preserving local nature will bring back that old, balanced partnership with the wild that our forebears forged out on the frontier. We embrace the spirit of the Kodiak – a pristine wilderness with a rich ecosystem – and we rely on that spirit of the Kodiak to inspire the work we do, the food we eat, and the way we play.
What will this position do?
We are looking for a dynamic Assistant Controller to lead the accounting function within our organization. Our intent is that this individual will eventually assume the Controller position and continue to provide leadership to our accounting team. You will be responsible for our ongoing accounting activities, including the monthly close and the current accounting staff. You must be a strong manager with the ability to lead out on developing new processes, systems, and workflows as the company grows and changes. Given the current size of our company, this is a high impact position. You will report to the VP of Finance.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the accounting function and its staff
- Implement industry-specific best practices for financial accounting and internal control
- Oversee the monthly close with consistent timeliness and reliability
- Perform and review regular reconciliations of general ledger accounts
- Create monthly internal-use financial statements
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly management reporting package
- Assist in the preparation of budgets or forecasts
- Perform ad-hoc analysis of accounting and financial data
- Ensure successful completion of the annual audit
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate for this role will be a strong manager and possess a high level of personal accountability. He or she will currently be a senior accountant or assistant controller, preferably in the CPG industry and specifically in food. The ideal candidate will overcome all obstacles and find satisfaction in consistently ensuring accurate financial reporting and control.
- 3-6+ years of progressive accounting experience required, some public accounting experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance required, Master’s preferred
- CPA or CMA preferred
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP and FASB codification
- Consumer goods industry (particularly in food/beverage) experience highly preferred
- Exposure to common tax concerns (income, property, sales, use, etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial processes (budgeting, financial closure, reporting, process diagraming, etc.)
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office (especially Excel) and QuickBooks
- Management experience and strong guiding managerial principles/philosophy
- High level of personal accountability
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly growing organization
- Passion for outdoor, active recreation
- Affinity for natural and healthy foods
How can I apply?
Please apply for this position by contacting Anne Katherine (AK) Toronto: firstname.lastname@example.org
What else do I need to know?
This role is based in our headquarters near the ski slopes and mountain trails of Park City, Utah. He or she will report to the VP of Finance. The position is designed that the individual will become the lead controller in a year. It offers competitive compensation and a wide range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays, vacation, 401K price match, paternity/maternity leave, relocation benefits, and other small-company benefits that will be highly valued by someone that fits our company culture and passion for the outdoors.
The future of food is whatever our generation decides it will be. We are committed to creating wholesome, natural, authentic food with superior taste to fuel a healthy, active lifestyle. We feel encouraged by some of the wholesome trends in food today and believe that with a concerted effort we can make an enormous impact in building momentum for natural, better-for-you foods. If you feel inspired in this same journey, we invite you to apply to join our team and leave your legacy on the future of food.