National Co+op Grocers - Director of Category Management
|Job Title:||Director of Category Management|
|Company:||National Co+op Grocers|
|Location:||St Paul, MN, 55114
Carrboro, NC, 27510
Iowa City, IA, 52240
Portland, OR, 97202
Attention category managers, merchandisers, and seasoned procurement professionals: Would you like to apply your chain-level business and retail expertise to supporting socially responsible, independent, and community-owned grocery stores? Are you analytical, entrepreneurial, results-oriented, and a servant leader?
National Co+op Grocers (NCG) is a member-owned purchasing and business service cooperative providing a variety of services to community-owned and independent food co-ops in 38 states. NCG helps unify food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power and offer more value to food co-op shoppers everywhere.
NCG seeks a seasoned category management professional with a passion for food merchandising and experience with natural products to provide direction to NCG’s team of Category Managers, oversee and continue to evolve our programs, and develop and implement our vision for category management programs.
The Director of Category Management is accountable for the success of NCG’s Co+op Deals promotions and pricing support programs, our new item program, and will be responsible for implementing a chain-wide category management program and process for our co-ops. This position is also responsible for managing NCG’s strategic partners including brands, brokers and solution-providers.
Our ideal candidate has experience both with multi-store chain category management processes and experience in natural products retailing and merchandising. Experience with retail grocery chain pricing and promotions is required and strong supervisory skills are a must.
This position will be based out of one of NCG’s home offices, preferably St. Paul, MN. Relocation assistance is available for this opportunity!
As a “virtual chain” of independent, community-owned natural foods retailers, NCG is one of the largest players in the natural products industry and through our programs provides the support and resources that enable our co-ops to compete with larger chains. Be a part of something great!
Primary responsibilities include:
- Supervise NCG’s team of Category Managers and provide them with the direction, tools, and resources to be successful with their category strategies
- Develop and implement NCG’s “core set” category management program
- Oversee and continue to evolve NCG’s Co+op Deals promotions program and promotional strategies to generate sales, consumer excitement, and strengthen price image
- Develop, manage, and strengthen relationships with NCG partners including brands, brokerages, strategic data partners, and solution providers
- Ensure that NCG programs meet targets for revenue
- Work with other NCG staff to secure a high-level of program adoption and execution at retail
- Provide content for NCG’s retailer category management training programs
- Strong supervisory and team leadership experience and skills and an orientation towards servant leadership
- Leadership experience in a multi-store chain with a category management program/process
- Demonstrated capacity for big picture, strategic thinking and experience with the development of competitive strategies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with multi-stakeholder engagement, project management, and development of new programs
- Entrepreneurial spirit and passion for food merchandising and retailing and desire to delight consumers!
- Firsthand experience with natural food/products merchandising preferred
- Familiarity with food co-ops and natural products supply chains preferred
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including medical, dental, company paid Life/ Disability/ Long Term Care insurance, HSA/FSA with company contribution, a generous 401K plan and much more.
Conveniently located between St. Paul and Minneapolis
2610 University Ave W, Suite 210 | St. Paul, MN 55114
Free Parking | Front Door Light Rail Station (Westgate - Green Line)
National Co+op Grocers (NCG), founded in 1999, is a business services cooperative serving retail food co-ops in the United States. Our 150 member and associate co-ops operate over 200 retail food stores in 38 states with combined annual sales in excess of $1.8 billion. NCG helps unify food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and offer more value to food co-op shoppers everywhere. By providing a variety of purchasing, management, development, marketing and other services, our co-ops are able to gain many of the advantages large grocery chains enjoy, while still reflecting the unique qualities of their local communities. For a map of NCG member and associate co-ops, visit our Find-a-Co-op page. To learn more about co-ops, visit www.strongertogether.coop.