Sol Organica - Chief Commercial Officer
|Job Title:||Chief Commercial Officer|
About the Company
We are a fast growing organic food company dedicated to improving the lives of smallholder farmers and the environment through processing organic tropical fruits (pureed and dried), nuts and related products in Nicaragua. The majority of our customers are in the U.S. within the retail and ingredients sector. With steady growth since our inception 10 years ago, we are now on a growth trajectory in excess of $20MM (USD revenues).
To help us continue to flourish, we are seeking a Chief Commercial Officer to lead our Nicaraguan based team. This role is focused on building and leading the sales team to achieve revenue targets and manage expense budgets. This person will collaborate closely with the Marketing lead to optimize customer support and consumer sell through. This is a great opportunity to play a key role in expanding our company while making a meaningful social and environmental impact. Working with an active board, the CCO will have the ability to co-invest and earn equity options.
What You Will Do
• 10 years experience in a consumer goods company, ideally in CPG
• Ability, knowledge and experience executing a strategic vision
• P&L management experience
• Management experience with direct reports
• 4 year college degree
• Willingness to spend a significant amount of time in both the U.S. and Nicaragua
• Entrepreneurial spirit with strong business fundamentals
• 5 years marketing and sales experience in consumer goods on the retail brand side within a medium to large sized CPG company
• Natural/Organic foods industry experience
• Spanish language abilities
• Substantial relevant and useful industry contacts/relationships
Who You Are
You have a strong sales and marketing experience in the natural and/or conventional food or consumer products industry as well as a strategic mind and vision for growing a company in an intelligent and thoughtful manner. As a natural entrepreneur, you have solid leadership and a passion for making a positive social impact in your career.
The Chief Commercial Officer is a newly created position, which will report directly to the Founder/CEO and Board of Directors with very clear financial targets and key performance indicators. In this role, you will be expected to refine the business plan, develop a strong sales and marketing strategy, lead a team and implement an action plan to maximize revenue opportunities from different channels, including retail, wholesale and e-commerce.
You will also take a leadership role in budgeting, capital raising, brand management, product development and marketing for the company’s juices, purees and dried fruit and snack products.
Most importantly, you will be aligned with the company’s commitment to integrity and sustainability, and will have proven experience with:
• Building and managing a successful brand
• Managing relationships with wholesale, retail, and distribution to end consumers
• Managing independent distributors and direct sales, as well as bulk ingredient and food service customers
• Developing and launching innovative products in the natural/organic and supplement/nutraceutical industry
• Effectively leading teams, managing cash flow and a P&L
• Successfully growing a business, integrating and expanding business units and companies
• All P&L responsibilities for the sales organization
• Grow distribution and placement in new accounts
• Manage and optimize broker network and key account headquarter calls
• Support and grow sales with current and new distributors and retailers
• Work collaboratively to ensure optimal customer service and support
• Set sales goals and targets with sales team and key distributors
• Implement channel strategies and strategically plan channel growth
• Formulate sales policies, best practices, and expense procedures
• Develop pricing strategy
• Develop trade planning, budget, spending and reconciliation
• Hold regular sales and marketing meetings
• Propose and manage incentive programs for sales team and brokers
• Accurately forecast annual, quarterly, and monthly revenue streams
• Recruit, motivate, direct and train sales organization
• Identify and implement effective training for team members
• Motivate team for optimal performance, including design and implementation of sales and promotional projects as well as social media
• Establish and control budgets for sales and marketing expenses, including trade show optimization
You must be self-guided, proactive, people-oriented and extremely well organized. You will be managing a number of different workflows and processes, as well as independently managing a team, vendors and suppliers. Ability to effectively communicate goals and needs, respond quickly to developing situations, and willingness to seek efficiency and efficacy in all areas of work are essential. You understand the dynamics of different distribution and retail channels in the natural products industry and have a proven ability to build premium brand equity. Additionally, you are technology savvy and proficient in relevant software applications including Microsoft Office, Gmail and Google applications.